Carb cycling, also known as carb rotation or zig zag diet, can be an effective method for losing weight. Here is a recent study on carb cycling for women and weight loss.
British researchers at the University Hospital in South Manchester, found that women who followed a low carb diet, 2 days a week, lost more weight than those who were on a conventional low calorie diet.
(Photo by: daBinsi)
The aim of the study was to find a easy-to-follow diet for women who are at high risk for breast cancer. Obesity and hormones such as insulin and leptin, are known to increase breast cancer risk. So losing weight can potentially reduce the risk of this disease.
The research evaluated the impact of 3 different diets on weight and insulin blood levels.
1. Mediterranean diet, restricted calories to about 1500 per day, 7 days a week.
2. Calorie restricted (650 calories per day) and low carb diet, 2 days per week.
3. Low carb and no calorie restriction diet, can eat unlimited protein and healthy fats, 2 days per week.
Low carb = up to 50 grams per day
Overview of the study:
- All 115 women who took part in the study are at high risk of breast cancer based on their family histories.
- 1/3 of them randomly assigned to each type of diet.
- Length of study: 4 months
Findings from the study:
Average weight loss:
- Both low carb diets: 9 pounds
- Mediterranean diet: 5 pounds
Reduction in insulin resistance
- Calorie-restricted, low carb diet: 22%
- Unrestricted calorie, low carb diet: 14%
- Mediterranean diet: 4%
Both low carb diets are better that the conventional calorie restricted diet in reducing weight, body fat, leptin and insulin resistance.
Carb cycling can be effective for breaking a fat loss plateau. If you are looking for a step-by-step guide on carb cycling for women or men, check out Shaun Hadsall’s 4 Cycle Fat-Loss
The 4 Cycle Fat Loss Plan is proven carb-cycling system that alternates your pattern of eating macro-nutrients by integrating Deplete Days along with higher carb Baselines Days and Cheat Days to help you “outsmart” your metabolism and conquer any “diet” plateau while STILL enjoying all your favorite foods.
The secret is called Macro-Patterning™ and it reprograms your body and metabolic triggers so fat is ALWAYS your “go-to” energy source. Not only does this approach reset your fat burning hormones, but you’ll finally be able to avoid all the pain and suffering associated with low carb and crash diets.
And when you time your carbs strategically with the right exercise protocol you’ll know, for a fact, every time you go to put time and energy into your plan, you’ll be burning fat and creating the maximum synergistic effect between food and exercise.
Click here to learn more about Shaun’s carb cyling program for both men and women.